Friday, August 18, 2006

Finally, Its all over.. (and i dont just mean the war)


I know I haven’t written any entries in some time, but with almost a quarter of a million students in this country for the last couple of days, I was in anticipation of the unveiling of my fate, eagerly awaiting my A-level results on the 17th of august. I know that was just yesterday, but I needed this whole week to calm down and to prepare myself for all possible outcomes. I don’t understand the necessity of all that mental stress?? The night of the 16th I think was probably the worst night of my life. I couldn’t sleep, eat, drink, think nor even breathe properly. I don’t think I even need to inform you of my journey to college to collect my results, my mind took me places It’s never been before. Okay, I’ll bare you all the gruesome details, I got in to do the degree I wanted but not at my first choice university, but my insurance. Thankfully I have come to accept this, and all I can do now I guess, is look forward to my first year at university.

Reading the papers these past two days, I read many articles about the idea of introducing a new “A*” grade into the A-level system. One was an article in the independent titled “Results add to pressure for reform of A-levels”. Apparently, this move is necessary due to the large numbers of students achieving three straight A passes. Now universities want this new scheme introduced so that they can pick out the truly “talented” students. I found myself completely against this move, not only will it diminish and value of achieving A and B grades, but will place added pressure onto students to achieve the A* grade. Sometimes I just feel like, how much do they want to stretch our brains? Is it fair? Is it fair on students who work exceedingly hard to achieve B and A grades that are not necessarily easy to obtain, only to have their grades unrecognised and to be beaten to places at universities, by students gaining even higher unnecessary grades?? I mean, what will the new grade boundaries between an A and an A* be?? A difference of 5 marks??? It doesn’t make sense, no matter how you look at it, its unnecessary pressure, and unfair, as if A-levels and the whole shift to university wasn’t stressful, complicated and competitive enough.

Anyway, with this id like to say a huge “congratulations” to all my friends, and anyone reading this who got their results yesterday, be it AS or A-level, even if they have achieved the grades they wanted, exceeded them, or missed them. Its not the end of the world every problem has a solution, life does not necessarily revolve around education, there are bigger issues and opportunities in this vast world. Life itself is a huge university where one can exceed in any subject and be successful in their future. At the end of the day, we dont know what fate has waiting for us. Just getting through those two stressful, exhausting, nerve destroying years at college deserves the biggest applause. So Well done to everyone, and with that i wish all the best of luck for the future :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! studies are the essential suckers of life

1:58 am  
Blogger Sincerity said...

lool thanks everyone :)

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home