Wednesday, October 01, 2008

(Thanks to M, for the introduction, and "tweaking" of the poem)

The sands of time trickle through my fingers despite my most arduous efforts and ambitious attempts at slowing them down and remaining in a state of stillness. By the time you finish reading this sentence, you have forever lost a few seconds of your time - they are never to be lived again.

I cannot but feel a little miserable about this and, I am sure, many out there share my slightly over-romantic sentiments.

Helpless, I continue to live with the knowledge that I am no longer who I was a moment ago. I will always be somewhere different to where I was before I blinked. Nevertheless, I take solace in the vast, unadulterated universe that I can travel to anytime I like by simply delving deep into my own thoughts. There, I find a depressing amount of unsigned letters, unfinished poems and ultimately an incomplete life. But who is to say I want to finish it? If I had the power, I would erase a line or two in hope of re-living a scene in the life that is unquestionably mine!

Unfortunately, a hefty weight labelled 'physics and biology' brings me crashing down to earth. It is then that I decide to succumb to the biggest universal truth, and keep afloat amidst the torrent of life.

A monologue of memories.

I wish i was seventeen again,
Oh how I wish i was seventeen.
The days seemed much brighter then,
And the grass was forever green.

I wish i could return again,
To the days the world was mine.
Fearless, I would stroll through rain,
Joy through my spirit would shine.

I wish you would take me back,
To when I walked with a certain air.
Uncertainty my heart did lack,
From this torture it was bare.

So tell me now, what has become,
Of the girl I used to be?
I want her to come back again,
To live inside of me.

I know the years, they have been few,
But when I reminisce,
One hundred years, they have been due,
Waiting for love’s true kiss.

I wish i was seventeen again,
O how I wish I was seventeen.



3 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

Hi Sincerity:
it's very nice name.. Sincerity is one of the things that we need so much nowadays. it's like a candle that we lighten by it our lives.
i liked your poem very much.keep going !
Violet.

6:04 pm  
Blogger Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

It's a good poem. Seventeen must have been a happy time for you.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Mohammad Hadi. A said...

hiya :) nice to see your back and writing -- and wow! i have to say I really enjoyed this piece, it's just teeming with truth.

keep sharing your thoughts

peace
~MHA

11:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home